Sunday, November 11, 2018

Wonder


August "Auggie" Pullman (Jacob Tremblay) is a 10-year-old boy living in North River Heights in upper Manhattan, New York, with his mother Isabel (Julia Roberts), father Nate (Owen Wilson), older sister Olivia "Via" (Izabela Vidovic), and dog Daisy. He has a rare medical facial deformity, which he refers to as "mandibulofacial dysostosis", and has undergone 27 different surgeries as a result. Auggie has been home-schooled, but as he approaches fifth grade, his parents decide to enroll him in Beecher Prep, a private school. Before the school year begins, Auggie meets with Mr. Tushman (Mandy Patinkin), the principal, who arranges a tour for him with three other students: Jack Will (Noah Jupe), Julian Albans (Bryce Gheisar), and Charlotte Cody (Elle McKinnon). When school starts, Auggie is initially ostracized by nearly the entire student body, but soon forms a close friendship with Jack.

For Halloween, Auggie dresses in a Ghostface mask and cloak when Daisy ruins the Boba Fett costume he was planning to wear. He walks through school upbeat and confident due to the anonymity his costume affords him. However, as he enters his homeroom, he overhears Jack, who does not recognize him, joining in with Julian and his friends in making fun of him behind his back. He becomes sick, forcing his mother to abandon her mother-daughter day with Via to bring him home. Though she is hurt, Via convinces Auggie to go trick-or-treating with her, as she has been rejected by her own former best friend Miranda (Danielle Rose Russell).

Eventually, Auggie forms a new friendship with a girl named Summer (Millie Davis) and confides in her about his split with Jack. Jack, puzzled by Auggie's change in attitude toward him, asks Summer why, but she will only give him the clue "Ghost Face". In science class, realization dawns on him, and he resolves to partner with Auggie instead of Julian for the school science fair. When Julian angrily confronts him in the hallway and calls Auggie a "freak", Jack punches him and the two fight. Jack writes a letter apologizing to Mr. Tushman for his actions, and Mr. Tushman, understanding Jack was defending his friend, suspends him for two days rather than expelling him. Jack later apologizes to Auggie and they reconcile.

Meanwhile, Via signs up for Drama Club at her high school after meeting a boy named Justin (Nadji Jeter), with whom she soon begins a romantic relationship. Via is selected to be an understudy for Miranda in the lead role in the school's production of Our Town, but on opening night, Miranda, whose divorced parents are not there to support her, pretends to be ill after learning Via's family is attending. Via takes her place and gives a moving performance that earns her a standing ovation. Via and Miranda then reconcile.

Auggie continues to be bullied by Julian and his friends. Finally, Auggie's homeroom teacher, Mr. Browne (Daveed Diggs), discovers the bullying, and Mr. Tushman confronts Julian and his parents (Crystal Lowe and Steve Bacic) with the evidence. Julian's parents defend his actions and assert that the students should not be exposed to Auggie, but despite their threats to pull their funding from the school, Tushman suspends Julian for two days, causing him to miss an upcoming nature retreat. Julian is distraught when his parents then declare he will not be back the following year, and apologizes to Tushman for his actions, which Tushman accepts.

At the nature retreat, Auggie and Jack are threatened by a trio of seventh graders from another school, but Julian's friends come to their defense. Auggie then becomes more accepted by his classmates.

At the year-end graduation ceremony, Auggie is given the Henry Ward Beecher Medal for standing out among his classmates and receives a standing ovation. The movie ends with everyone applauding Auggie, and Isabel commenting on him being a "wonder".

Noticed the novel before but haven't got a chance to read it yet. This movie was really highly recommended! So inspiring and motivating, I totally can feel how Auggie felt but you just have to go through it. Gonna read the book soon!

9.5/10!

When I'm looking at myself
I see a thousand perspectives of me
Everyone is letting me show
A side of myself I can't see

I'm wide awake now, I'm free of the doubt
Don't wanna look down
And if I fall out, I lay on the ground
And look to the clouds

Couldn't let the world decide
All of the things that I can or can't do
What if I had taken all the things
That broke me and made them my truth

I'm wide awake now, I'm free of the doubt
Don't wanna look down
And if I fall out, I lay on the ground
And look to the clouds

It's like I got brand new eyes, and I can finally see
What has always been right there in front of me
And with these brand new eyes I'll take in everything
And I will finally see me

I can finally see
I can finally see it

#Wonder

#PLSY

No comments:

Post a Comment